Cannabis Infused Nanaimo Bars
The Nanaimo Bar is one of Canada’s favourite desserts and we take it to the next level by creating cannabis infused nanaimo bars. Nanaimo is a city on Vancouver Island, we live not too far from there. What better way to marry two of Canada’s favourite things….the Nanaimo Bar and Cannabis.
For the infusion for our cannabis infused nanaimo bars we are going to be using cannabis butter. As each layer requires butter to be used, we will use cannabis butter in place. For the custard layer if you use melted butter you will get a creamier consistency and if you use softened butter you will get more of a firmer buttery consistency.
The addition of home-made cannabutter adds to the trifecta of delightful flavours and textures comprising a coconut crumb base, layered with whipped custard icing and blanketed with rich chocolate.
Don’t let the three layers scare you into thinking this is a difficult recipe, it’s actually quite easy. Once you have the base layer created the hard work is over. The custard layer can be whipped up in an instant and both the custard and chocolate layer can be made up ahead of time.
For more info on how to infuse cannabis into different mediums, check out our “Cooking w/ Cannabis 101” series. If you are interested in becoming a medical cannabis patient, please reach out to Spartan Wellness.
Start to finish: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 bars
Cannabis Infused Nanaimo Bars Ingredients
- 125 ml Cannabis Butter, unsalted
- 60 ml Sugar
- 75 ml Cocoa Powder
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 300 ml Graham Crumbs
- 125 ml Almonds, finely chopped
- 250 ml Coconut, shredded
- 125 ml Butter, unsalted
- 60 ml Heavy Cream
- 30 ml Vanilla Custard Powder
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- 4 oz Semi-sweet Chocolate
- 30 ml Butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt cannabis butter slowly in a double boiler or microwave, set aside
- Add all remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl
- Pour melted butter on top and mix until well incorporated
- Press mixture into an 8″ x 8″ pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes
- Remove and allow to fully cool
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar until well incorporated and airy
- Spread evenly over base layer
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat
- Allow to cool slightly
- Once chocolate has cooled, but still liquid, pour over custard layer
- Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened