Family Style Gnocchi w/ Swiss Chard and Mushrooms
The best thing about gnocchi is that it makes you feel like you cooked a 5 star meal with out leaving the house. This family style gnocchi is easy to make and has all the colors of the rainbow. The addition of fresh grape tomatoes at the end give the family style gnocchi a nice fresh flavor.
Yes you can spend half your day making gnocchi from scratch or you can can go the store and buy it. I have worked in award winning restaurants that serve pre-made gnocchi.
The funny thing is that you might think that making gnocchi is hard and only something that chef’s can do but it is easier then making pasta. Once your water starts to boil, add the gnocchi. Once you add the gnocchi to the boiling water wait for it to float. After all the gnocchi’s are floating…you’re done.
Add to your favorite sauce or toss is a pan with some olive oil for a nice crisp. For our family style gnocchi you can do both, you can pan fry your gnocchi before adding the swiss chard mixture, yet if you want to skip this step you can.
For the family style gnocchi you can cut the veggies any way you’d like. We sliced them but if you like your mushrooms quartered or onions to large diced then go ahead. Cooking is all about creating the way that you want to.
A little hint we want to share with you, if you don’t want it to be all vegetarian you could add some bacon to give it a nice kick. As well if you do not want to use swiss chard you could replace for any leafy green, like spinach.
Ingredients for Family Style Gnocchi
- 1 package of Gnocchi
- 3 leaves Swiss Chard
- 10 Cremini Mushrooms
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic
- 8-10 Grape Tomatoes (You could use Cherry Tomatoes too)
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Directions For Family Style Gnocchi
- Make gnocchi, as per directions on package
- Slice red onion, swiss chard, and mushrooms and set aside
- Cut grape tomatoes in half and set aside
- Fire up your burners/stove top to medium high heat and add olive oil to the pan once hot
- Add the mushrooms and onions and cook
- When the mushrooms are cooked half way add the tomatoes and garlic
- Add the swiss chard last minute (you do not want to cook swiss chard for too long)
- Add the gnocchi to the swiss chard and mushroom mixture, toss around in the pan, and
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Garnish w/ your favorite Parmesan cheese….We love using Pecorino Romano sheeps cheese
- Serve, Eat Well, and Be Happy